the tarot room

georgianna of the tarot room talks about tarot stuff

Sunday, February 21, 2010

How Do Tarot Cards Work - from the source ...

Though I’ve been using Tarot cards for a long time now – abut 17 years, I still can’t say that I know how they work. I know they do, but ‘how’ remains a mystery. I have lots of ideas, and have read and listened to many other people’s ideas, but so far, no answer has been completely satisfying.

So today I decided to go to the source itself. It seems sort of obvious – why haven’t I done this before!? What do my own Tarot Cards have to say about how they work?

Their answer - the Three of Cups. Three women dancing in a circle raising their golden chalices to the sky in praise of something they’re very pleased about. They wear dresses of pink, red and blue. Flowers bloom below them.



A beautiful card – ruled by the ‘grand-mother’ herself – the Empress. This card makes me think of the three dancing ladies in the 70's animated movie The Point . Little Oblio and his dog Arrow discover the ladies in a meadow by the Pointless Forest. When the ladies see them, they bring them into the fun, tossing them around from one happy belly to the next.

Is this card saying that Tarot works through an interchange between humans and dancing angels? If they catch you peeking they’ll play with you? Or could it be that the Tarot is for ‘entertainment’ purposes only – as must be specified by all readers in the UK?

There's lots of good feeling here, and a general sense of joyousness pervading the whole scene. Could it simply be that the cards work through joy? Through the abundant love of the goddesses? I think I need another card for clarification ….

And it’s the Knight of Pentacles. This knight sits on a brown horse, wearing his silver armour. In his hand he holds a golden disk. He looks over a fertile field.



The seeds have been planted, The Knight of Disks tends his fields, watches them grow and does the work necessary to change the potential of a seed into something tangible. This knight represents building and movement. But it's steady, practical, careful and well-planned. He’s not into rushing in with the fools. He wants things to be clear, rational and unemotional.

Quite frankly, I think the cards are skirting my question. It seems to me, that instead of telling me 'how Tarot Cards work', they’re telling me 'how to work with Tarot Cards'.

The Three of Cups points to the joyousness inherent in connecting with the divine – even if it’s just through some cardboard pictures. And it’s true, if you approach readings with joy and love and sharing, they pay you back in kind.

And the Knight of Pentacles – that’s how I think the Tarot, or any serious subject, should be approached. Steady, practically, carefully and with patient thought. It’s a topic to be learnt, not just felt. Time and effort must be expended as one develops as a reader.

Intuition is natural, but in order to use it on a regular and ‘on-call’ basis, one has to practice. If there was ever someone willing to put in the work of practice, it’s the Knight of Pentacles.

So …. I got an answer, maybe not the one I was looking for, but useful none the less. “How the Tarot works’ remains a mystery. And maybe it always will. ‘How to Work the Tarot’ however, at least from an attitudinal perspective, has been answered. And that’s probably all that matters.

For now anyway …. ☺

6 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Dove said...

I feel I do know how the Tarot works, and so that obviously influences how I'm reading your cards. But here are my thoughts. I first get "abundance" from the 3 of cups. The Tarot always works, come rain or shine :) I feel the cards are no different than the Universe, it will always reflect back to us our strongest energy (thought and/or emotion).

"Abundance" may be saying this. That is, whatever is "overflowing" from us will be shown to us. I've tested it many times. If someone has just stoked anger or joy in our hearts, but we're trying to hold an opposite thought (energy) for the Tarot to respond to, it will invariably zero in on the heart energy, because its fresh and strong in that moment. That's why it's best to clear all that energy out (head and heart...expectations) before endeavoring to do a reading for ourselves or others.

We see it all the time, how the Tarot will show us what we're "wishing for," because that's the energy we're holding -- then, it will laugh at us by immediately showing us the 9 of cups, lol ;) Best to be like that ole "boring" Knight/pents, not much emotion, just practical focus on what we want to accomplish. The 3 of cups may be backing that up by advising to be lighthearted, because in my experience the Tarot seems to pick up on the slightest dab of fear from a "heavy" heart.

We don't even have to pose a question or even shuffle. Just walk up to the cards and cut, and just like the Universe (via ppl, etc), it will show us our strongest energy in that moment. I've handed cards to people and told 'em the same. I tell 'em to do whatever they want with the cards (shuffle or not), just cut, and I'll tell 'em what's going on with 'em with that one card :) We cannot draw a card or draw to us anything that doesn't in some way reflect our energy--a person, a situation, a card. Doesn't matter, it's all about our energy. We are the garden from which everything in our world grows.

Peace,
Dove
www.TarotwithLove.com

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger The Tarot Lady said...

Great post! These insights make total sense to me.

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Marcus Katz said...

Hi there!

Nice post, and yes, very important to go to the source for information, engaging with the Tarot as a self-referential system!

One quick point; Tarot Readers in the UK do not "have to" put anything about Tarot being "for entertainment purposes only". This is not in any regulation nor law, not would be useful in any legal argument! It's one of the many Tarot myths that's somehow become commonplace. We did a 30-page legal guide for our group, Tarot Professionals, and enlisted a legal consultant, so we're pretty sure!

May a full deck of possibilties be yours,

Marcus Katz
http://www.tarotprofessionals.com: Restoring the Spiritual Dignity of Tarot
http://www.tarosophy.com: Tarot to Engage Life, not Escape it.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Donnaleigh said...

Interesting, I was thinking about this today and that Knight of Pentacles talked to me.

Knights are great messengers, and he is looking for a message, perhaps from a Higher Power? ...but this message is something he can hold in his hand (cards), more than just thoughts (swords).

And this Knight is not running, he is taking pause and listening to the stillness of that which he holds in his hand, practical advice. It's taking a sacred moment to look at the tangible and touchable for practical answers.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello i am new to this forum i hope i can help out & give something back here because iv learned a huge amount myself.

Thx's

[URL=http://plasteringcoursesuk.co.uk][B]plastering courses essex[/B][/URL]

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home