the tarot room

georgianna of the tarot room talks about tarot stuff

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Al Rush and the 10 of Vessels

It’s been just over 12 years since Al Rush died. He was the manager of the Kingsway Theatre when I worked there in my early twenties. Today when the Twitter @Weiserbooks Book Club asked us to ‘listen to the ghosts of our own past’, it was Al’s voice I heard.

“Stupid hoodlum teenage bastards.” That’s what he called all the employees, myself included. Probably not such a positive motivational technique but we loved him anyway. He wasn’t interested in being a role model and I don’t think any of us confused him for one. At least not then.

Within the context of the book club (and time), I’m thinking of him now as an ‘ancestor’ – he was here first and left before I have. He lived in all the cities I did before I even visited them, and as far as my ‘career’ goes, he ended his where I started mine.

In Kissing the Limitless (the book we’re reading for the book club), T. Thorn Coyle suggests we write a letter to our ancestors to ask for direction on our journey. I started writing a few letters but they were all too sappy. Al would have just laughed at them. So I decided to pull a card instead.

I used the Alchemical deck (Al-chemical, get it?) and pulled the 10 of Vessels. It’s a giant still, perfectly balanced with 10 vessels busy distilling the inner essences. It speaks of the unity of the one through the work and connections of the many.

I think it’s a message about love, each vessel representing a different soul bubbling and sharing with the soul around it. As everyone plays and works together without overflowing, overheating or exploding, we create a magical golden tincture – liquid love.

And it wouldn’t be so surprising for Al to send a message like this. Despite his hostile language, he was very sweet. It’s also not so strange that he'd use a still to illustrate his point. The only time we discussed anything remotely ‘occult' involved some hallucinogenic tree bark wine he used to buy at a local pagan shop.

Al was a great friend of mine long past the time we worked together. He taught me a lot, mostly about living fully and loving people as wholly as you can without judgment and with as few expectations as possible. And I think that's the message he sent with this card.

I miss him a lot but was happy tonight to think about him. Here’s a big glass of liquid love to you Al! Cheers!

If you’re on Twitter – please join us at #WB1.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post, g! what a lovely way of remembering ancestors...

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Liani Tarot said...

I must echo Raven's comment because I was so moved by that post. It's not possible to be on the planet for long before we experience the pain of our mentors departing. This is a wonderfully simple way to keep their wisdom alive. Thank you for sharing something so deeply personal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home